Whether you live in Portland, Oregon, Beaverton, or other parts of Oregon or Washington, or elsewhere, hail storms don’t last long, but they pack a real punch. Every year, hail causes nearly $1 billion in damages, mostly to repair roofs and cars. A single series of evening storms in North Texas in May of 2011 caused an estimated $200 million to $300 million in damages, according to one estimate.*
You can save hundreds of dollars and hours of clean-up by making sure you understand your homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and other insurance coverage, and taking some precautions, including checking your roof before the next hail storm.
Know What Your Insurance Covers and How Much You Need
- Check your policy to see what’s covered and the deductible you’ve chosen. Check with us at Fox Insurance Agency for added peace of mind.
- Your insurance policy typically covers the cost to repair roofs and cars, and other common hail damage.
- However, you may have a higher deductible for wind/hail damage.
Portland and Beaverton, You Can Take Action to Reduce Damage
If you haven’t taken a look at your roof in a while, now’s the time. Roof repairs today can help you avoid extensive, time-consuming clean-up later.
- Repair or replace worn, curled or missing shingles.
- If your roof is aging, consider replacing it before hail season begins.
When Storms Hit in Oregon, Protect Yourself-and Your Car
In severe storms, a hail stone can be as big as a softball and fall at 50-100 miles an hour.
- Stay indoors!
- Stay away from skylights and glass doors to avoid broken glass.
- If it is safe, close drapes, blinds, or shades to prevent debris from blowing inside.
- If you can, park your car in the garage or other covered area.
For further questions and assistance, please contact Fox Insurance Agency at 503-277-2300 or click here.
*Southwestern Insurance Information Service