Now that summer is here, the kids are going to be out playing and having a blast. It’s fun to see them having a great time, but it also is important to see them safe. Summer is one of the most accident prone times of the year, since we tend to be very active while we are out and about.
Here are some of the things to watch out for, and what you can do to improve safety.
- First of all make sure that helmets are worn at all times if there is biking or skateboarding or rollerblading involved. Head injuries send a lot of kids to the emergency room each year, and this prevents a lot of them.
- If you have a pool, make sure that it is covered and kept off limits when it is not in use and being watched.
- Regularly maintain your home playground and do not let the kids jump out of the swings. Climbing on the structure where kids are not meant to go is also discouraged.
- Only allow one person on the trampoline at a time, no matter what.
- Make sure to secure any portable soccer goals, and remove the nets when they are not in use. There are actually a lot of accidents which happen because of this.
Exercising caution in this way is an investment which is very much worth it all in nature. Kids need to have fun, but they also need to be safe. There is no reason why they can’t have both!