Using claim data, regardless if you live in Portland, Beaverton, Wilsonville, Oregon, or elsewhere, the following is a list of common causes of fire-related losses as well as some things you can do to help prevent them.
Faulty wiring and outlets are one of the top causes of house fires.
- Check the electrical cords throughout your home for signs of fraying, and replace all frayed wires.
- Do not pinch or cover electrical cords with items such as rugs.
- Be aware of the capacity of your home's electrical system. Do not overload your outlets. If you have questions about your home's electrical system, you may want to consult a licensed electrician.
- Understand the difference between surge protectors and power strips - both allow you to plug in multiple electronic devices, but only the surge protector will help guard these devices from a power spike. Use surge protectors to protect valuable appliances, such as computers and televisions.
Carelessness in the kitchen may also lead to a house fire.
- Never leave your pots or pans unattended on your stove.
- Keep a kitchen fire extinguisher readily available and know how to use it.
- If a grease fire erupts, turn off the heat source. Do not throw water on the fire because it may cause the fire to spread.
- If a fire starts in your oven, close the over door and turn off the heat to smother the flames.
- If a fire starts in your microwave, turn off the microwave, and do not open it until the fire is completely out. Unplug the microwave only if you can safely do so.
Clothes dryers are another common source of house fires.
- If you are installing your own dryer vent, follow the directions in the manual. If you are unsure about how to properly install the vent, consider hiring a professional to do the installation.
- Clean out the dryer vent regularly.
- Clean out the lint filter after each load.
- Lint may also collect under and behind your dryer, so do not forget to clean these areas.
Alternative heating sources may also create a fire hazard.
- Avoid using an older space heater, if possible. When purchasing a new space heater, pay attention to the safety features.
- Do not place a space heater near furniture, curtains or other objects that could easily catch fire.
- If you plan to install an alternative heating system, such as a wood or pellet stove, follow the instructions. If you are unsure about how to properly install the system, consider hiring a professional to do the installation.
- Before installing a wood or pellet stove, check to ensure it complies with the laws of your state and municipality.
Dirty chimneys also pose a fire hazard.
- Have your chimney inspected annually by a CSIA-certified chimney sweep. Have a professional clean and repair the chimney as needed, especially before the cold months, when you will be using it frequently.
- Use seasoned wood only. Never burn green or damp wood.
- Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or trees in your fireplace - these can all spark chimney fires.
At Fox Insurance Agency, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 503-277-2300 or send us a note at info [at] foxinsure [dot] com. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!