At Fox Insurance, we work hard to help you find the right auto insurance, but we also want to help you avoid unnecessary accidents. Winter weather in Oregon can make the roads treacherous. If you must drive in snowy conditions, take your time. Drive slowly and safely. These winter driving tips might come in handy:
1. Keep an eye on your tire pressure. Chilly temperatures often cause a decrease in tire pressure. Make sure your tires are properly inflated at all times.
2. Keep your gas tank at least half full in order to avoid a frozen gas line.
3. Pull your car out of the garage or other enclosed area when warming up the engine.
4. Don’t use your parking brake unless absolutely necessary during cold, icy or snowy weather.
5. Don’t use cruise control while navigating slick winter roads.
6. If possible, don’t venture onto icy or snow-packed roads. If you must drive in the snow, follow these tips:
Maintain slow, steady acceleration and deceleration in order to obtain traction and avoid spinning out or skidding.
Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles on the road. It takes longer for your vehicle to react in the snow.
Be familiar with your brakes. Antilock brakes are best for wintery conditions. Apply the brakes slowly and steadily for best results.
Avoid stopping if possible, especially on a hill. When encountering traffic lights, slowly approach them so as to reach the intersection on a green light.
We want you to drive safely. However, we also understand that accidents happen. That’s why we offer affordable auto insurance policies designed to cover common risks. Contact us today to make sure your policy is up to date. In the event of an accident, we’ll be here to help you navigate the process of getting back on the road.