As a full-service, independent insurance agency,Fox Insurance Agency is interested in helping our friends and customers stay safe. Sometimes personal safety boils down to healthy decisions and daily habits. Whether or not you purchase health insurance through us, we’d like to see all of our customers eat a healthy diet. Healthy eating habits have been linked to such things as disease prevention and longevity, but it isn’t always easy to make the right decision. Here are five top tips for eliminating refined sugar from your diet:
1. Drink water when eating out. How many times have you ordered a Coke or an energy drink instead of enjoying a glass of clear, cool water? Did you know that 12 ounces of Coca-Cola contains more than nine teaspoons of sugar? (Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/283136-how-many-...)
2. Snack on fresh fruits and veggies. By replacing sugary snacks like candy or baked goods with a couple pieces of fruit or some fresh veggies, you not only eliminate sugar in your diet. You also get a healthy helping of vitamins and minerals your body needs in order to function properly.
3. Avoid canned pasta sauce. Did you know that sugar and high-fructose corn syrup are primary ingredients in many commercially sold pasta sauces? Avoid the sugar and get more nutrients by making your own sauce from a can of tomato sauce and a few delicious spices. If you desire the convenience of prepackaged sauce, check the ingredients list and choose the sauce without sugar or corn syrup listed.
4. Choose gum instead of dessert. If you like to end a meal on a sweet note, chew a piece of sugar-free gum. Instead of ingesting sugar that will result in a sugar crash later, you’ll be aiding digestion and burning a few extra calories.
5. Eat regularly. Sugar cravings have been linked to inconsistent eating schedules. To minimize them, eat regularly scheduled, healthy meals and allow yourself two or three healthy snacks throughout the day.Healthy lifestyles can be difficult to maintain, but a few steps forward are always a good thing. Try one or two of these tips, and you’ll be starting your own journey toward good health.