As a homeowner, you have a responsibility to keep your home in good repair. Many times, you can do your own home maintenance and upkeep, but a few jobs are best left to the professionals. In interest of your personal safety, here’s Fox Insurance Agency’s list of the top five home repairs that are best left to the professionals:
1. Plumbing issues. If you don’t have professional training as a plumber, please don’t try to do any plumbing on your own. A single mistake while trying to unclog a drain or reseat a toilet can result in serious damage to your home. Hiring a professional will save you time and money.
2. Replacing the roof. Roofing isn’t as easy as it might seem. Just climbing on top of your house presents risks that we’d rather you not take. Instead, if your roof needs to be repaired or replaced, hire a licensed and bonded roofing professional.
3. Electrical wiring and installations. Most anyone can successfully install new light fixtures, but if your electrical needs extend beyond simple fixture installations, call a professional. Tasks such as upgrading electrical systems in an older home or adding outlets can be completed quickly, safely and affordably by a professional, but amateurs risk personal injury or the possibility of setting fire to a home.
4. HVAC repairs. Heating and cooling issues are inconvenient at best. Do your part by cleaning or replacing filters regularly, but when an issue with your furnace or central cooling system arises, call a professional. Amateur attempts at fixing HVAC issues can result in voided warranties and costly mistakes.
5. Window installation. This one may seem fairly obvious, but we want to make sure to mention it. Window installation is dangerous for a number of reasons, including the fact that windows are breakable. The danger increases when dealing with second-story windows. Professionals have the equipment, training and experience to complete an installation successfully and safely.We want you to be safe when you take on a home improvement project. Reach out to a professional whenever you don’t feel confident in the work that needs to be done. Need a referral? Contact Fox Insurance Agency for a list of home improvement professionals in your neighborhood.