Ride safe with these motorcycle tips
Motorcyclists know that riding gives them a freedom that driving a car just can’t match. But the best riders also know that motorcycles require more focus to operate and don’t provide the same protections cars do in the event of a crash. The best riders also take great care in all situations, whether they’re in heavy traffic on local roads, stuck in the rain or just taking a quick ride on a perfect day.
Want more? Check out the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org) or the American Motorcyclist Association (www.americanmotorcyclist.com). And remember to give us at Fox Insurance Agency
First things first
- Wear proper safety gear and, most importantly, a helmet – no matter how short your trip may be.
- Make sure you can be seen by other motorists. Make it easier for them by wearing reflective clothing, always using turn signals (and perhaps hand signals as well) and keeping your headlight on.
- Even when taking the above precautions, stay alert and assume that other drivers don’t see you — especially at intersections and when making lane changes or passing.
- Be patient. Don’t tailgate, and if someone is tailgating you, get out of their way.
- Don’t ride after drinking or taking any medications that could impair your abilities.
Riding at night
- Again, make sure you’re visible — particularly at dusk. Consider upgrading your headlight or adding other lights to your ride. Is your bike black? What about your clothing? Both will make you more difficult to see at night.
- Your vision needs to be clear, so keep your visor or goggles clean and free from scratches. If you don’t use face or eye protection, consider it.
- Carry a flashlight or other emergency gear with you so a mechanical problem doesn’t leave you stranded — and invisible — on the side of a dark road.
- Keep rain and cold-weather gear handy. Riding isn’t just more enjoyable when you’re warm and dry — it’s safer, too.
- Use extreme caution when it first begins to rain, as the roads are most slick at that point. Pull over and wait if necessary. It’s better to be late than ride in unsafe conditions.
We wish that all of your rides could be on sunny days with wide-open roads, but we know that’s not going to happen. So think about safety every time you start up your bike!
Motorcycle Insurance Quotes In Portland and beyond
In Portland, Beaverton, Oregon and beyond, turn for motorcycle insurance quotes to Fox Insurance. Here at Fox Insurance Agency, we strive to be the agent of choice in the area. As an independent agency, we represent several large and reputable companies. We can present riders with quotes for their specific needs.
With so many options available, we can help find the right policy for each rider. Cheap motorcycle insurance policies are available for riders on a budget. There are often discounts available with policies, and we will make sure you know about them. Contact us today. We would be happy to discuss your motorcycle insurance needs.
The information in this article was obtained from various sources and is not all inclusive regarding the subject matter. This content is offered for educational purposes only and does not represent contractual agreements, nor is it intended to replace manuals or instructions provided by the manufacturer or the advice of a qualified professional. The definitions, terms and coverage in a given policy may be different than those suggested here and such policy will be governed by the language contained therein. No warranty or appropriateness for a specific purpose is expressed or implied.