Top Tips for Boat Trailer Safety
There are many reasons to love the sport of boating – it can be relaxing, exciting, entertaining and even rejuvenating. But hauling a boat on a trailer and launching it at the busy launch ramp can have its challenges. In fact, it can be downright stressful and dangerous and is often wrought with mishaps.
It’s not too early to start getting your boat trailer in tip-top shape. To help make sure you can haul your boat to its destination and into the water smoothly, check out this basic trailering checklist for part of your consideration..
Before you tow your boat trailer, be sure:
- Coupler, hitch and hitch ball are of the same size
- Coupler and safety chains are safely secured to the hitch of the tow vehicle
- All fasteners are properly tightened
- Boat is securely tied down to trailer (winch line is not a tie down)
- Wheel lug nuts are properly tightened
- Wheel bearings are properly adjusted and maintained
- Load is within maximum load carrying capacity
- Tires are properly inflated
- All trailer lighting is working properly
- Trailer brakes are properly adjusted and working (if trailer is so equipped)
- Brakes and additional equipment meet all local and state requirements
At Fox Insurance Agency, we want your boating adventures to be enjoyed on the water instead of experienced with frustration on the boat ramp or on the road. Happy hauling!
Before you’re out there towing and floating, take a look at your current boat and trailer insurance policies. Check with your customer care team at Fox Insurance Agency to be sure your coverage is adequate and that your policies are up to date and renewed.
Upgraded your boat or trailer recently? If so, talk to your insurance Fox Insurance agents about your coverage and limits to be certain your coverage is sufficient.
Be sure both your boat and trailer policy liability limits are adequate. Just one accident involving a boat can result in extensive damage and serious injuries.
By representing some of the most reputable insurers, who are able to offer some of the most comprehensive policies. We can present you with options that are priced very competitively. Contact Fox Insurance Agency today for more information 503-277-2300. We would love to discuss your needs.
We at Fox Insurance Agency wish you a fun-filled and safe boating season!
The information in this article was obtained from various sources and is not all inclusive regarding the subject matter. This content is offered for educational purposes only and does not represent contractual agreements, nor is it intended to replace manuals or instructions provided by the manufacturer or the advice of a qualified professional. The definitions, terms and coverage in a given policy may be different than those suggested here and such policy will be governed by the language contained therein. No warranty or appropriateness for a specific purpose is expressed or implied.