Are you tired of high utility bills landing in your mailbox in Beaverton or Portland Oregon? Not sure how to lower those bills without turning your heat way down or taking cold showers?
We at Fox Insurance Agency can help.
Nearly 70 percent of the average home’s energy use falls into four main categories, according to EnergyStar.gov: Heating (29 percent), water heating (14 percent), appliances (13 percent) and lighting (12 percent). Here are some quick tips to help you save money in each of those areas and stay comfortable at the same time:
- Use (or install) a programmable thermostat. Running the heat all day when you are at work is a waste, but keeping it off all day means you’re coming home to a freezing house. Today’s thermostats allow you to easily manage when the heat goes on and off.
- Have a professional check your heating and cooling equipment to make sure it’s running efficiently. Also replace air filters regularly — whenever it looks dirty, or every 3 months, whichever is sooner.
- In addition to lowering your thermostat to about 120 degrees (F), adding insulation to an older water heater or the pipes themselves can keep water warmer longer.
- Wait to run your dishwasher until it is full; a half-load uses the same amount of water and energy as a full one.
- When you’re using the stove, choose the right burner for your pots and pans. Using a big burner for a small pot can waste a lot of energy.
- Keep your washing machine set to use cold water, whenever possible. And don’t forget to clean that lint trap in the dryer.
- Using compact fluorescent bulbs is an excellent idea, particularly for lights you use all the time, like above your porch or in your kitchen.
- Replace your old decorative lights with new, energy-efficient models. Not only will they save electricity, they’ll last longer.
It’s not hard to get started with saving energy. Once you do and you see those bills get lower and lower, you’ll want to keep going. Check out EnergyStar.gov for more tips and information.
At Fox Insurance Agency in Beaverton, Oregon and serving Fox Insurance Agency in Portland, Oregon and beyond, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. If you have any questions or needs be sure to call us at 503-277-2300 or send us a note at info [at] foxinsure [dot] com. Fox Insurance Agency are your local insurance experts serving Portland, Beaverton, and throughout the rest of Oregon and Washington. We are always ready to assist you with your home insurance, auto insurance, and other insurance needs. If you have questions about an insurance policy for your motorcycle, RV, boat or ATV ask the local, independent insurance agents at Fox Insurance Agency in Beaverton, OR. You can also increase your liability protection with a personal umbrella insurance policy and protect your property in the event of an earthquake with a personal earthquake insurance policy. Just ask our agents if your situation may benefit from a policy like this. You can also visit our insurance website 24/7 to see about the other insurance products we offer.